Friday, June 17, 2011

Cows, Tractors and Grapes, Oh My!


So here it goes folks- I’m blogging! I’ll be sharing my thoughts, feelings, ideas and musings on all things agriculture, and I hope you’ll come along for the ride.

What makes me qualified to be an agricultural blogger, you ask? Well, agriculture is my passion. I have always lived a county lifestyle, but it wasn’t until I joined the Future Farmers of America in high school that I began to understand how much I loved agriculture.  My time in the FFA has led me to study agricultural communications at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo.  Since coming to Cal Poly, I have learned how to advocate for the industry I love and educate those who aren’t aware of the vital role agriculture plays in their lives.

Most people’s agricultural expertise is focused in one area, based on what they grew up with. If you grew up on a dairy, chances are your future isn’t going to involve managing an almond orchard. Since I didn’t grow up in agriculture, I had no ties to one particular sector, which meant I felt the need to try everything.
 I raised market dairy calves for county fairs, judged vegetables at Career Development Events, studied tractors in my high school shop and learned all about wine grapes while working as a harvest intern for a vineyard and winery. All my exploits had me falling in love with all things American agriculture, and I haven’t looked back since. 

Those exploits also proved that my purpose in life is to advocate for agriculture by educating others on the role agriculture plays in their daily lives. The majority of Americans don’t think about how their fruits and vegetables got to the grocery store, let alone the American farmer that worked hard to produce such a quality product. This isn’t the average consumer’s fault- they haven’t been given a reason to think beyond the produce aisle or meat counter. This must change. 

 I hope blogging helps me spread the word and makes people more aware of agriculture. If one person starts thinking about where their food comes from and begins to respect the American agriculture industry, I have done my job. 

Well, this concludes my first blog. Hopefully this entry at least piqued your interest and convinced you to check back for more entries in the future. Thanks for reading! J

No comments:

Post a Comment