Saturday, July 30, 2011

AMS: Following Through

My trip to the Agricultural Media Summit in New Orleans was FANTASTIC. I was able to make new friends from my own school and others, eat AWESOME food (I don’t know what I’m going to do without beignets), see where history was made and I wrapped up the week by being elected Second Vice President for the National Agricultural Communicators of Tomorrow. It was a pretty amazing week that I couldn’t possibly fit into one blog. So, we will talk about the important stuff.

The important stuff: professional development and making connections. During the week, I attended workshops on everything from editing your writing to strategic tweeting. I learned some great new skills and tips to improve myself and my work. Even more important, I met many new people that should prove to be great connections and friends in the future.
As I said earlier, I met a lot of people from other schools- people I will probably be working with in the near future. It always makes me happy when I meet students like myself who are as passionate about agriculture as I am. Not only will I be friends with these people, but we will have the entirety of the agriculture industry to talk about.

I didn’t just meet people my own age though. During the workshops and the Info Expo, I was able to talk to many people already in the industry. I found that everyone was willing to talk to a kid like me and give advice. Just talking to these people made me more confident about my future and what I want to do when I graduate. All were more than willing to accept a resume or exchange business cards, meaning those short little talks could turn into longtime contacts and opportunities. Fingers crossed at least!
After I got home from New Orleans, I decided it was probably a good idea to email those I had talked to and thank them for spending time with me. It couldn’t hurt, right? I sent out those emails, not really expecting to hear back, but hoping they would at least keep me at the front of my new contacts’ minds.

The next morning, my inbox was full of replies from the professionals. I couldn’t believe it. Not only had these men and women gotten back to me, they had replied in less than 24 hours. They were personal emails too, not just form letters. These industry titans had actually taken the time to write back to me!

Their sincere and honest replies showed me how important following up is. If I hadn’t sent those emails, I definitely wouldn’t have gotten an email from them. But since I made the effort, I put myself back in their minds and deepened my connection with them. Now, I will always send a quick little thank you note after someone takes the time to speak with me, because making it to the top is at least partially who you know. Who knows, maybe one of them will hire me!
For pictures ranging from the French Quarter to the AMS Awards night, visit my Facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment