Sunday, July 10, 2011

Lists, lists and more lists


I’m a list person. In fact, I’m a little obsessed with lists. When I get bored, I make lists. When I am stressed, I make lists. I make to-do lists (both short term and long term), goal lists, lists of what I’m going to do to entertain myself that weekend, and the list literally goes on and on. I make lists of all my lists so I don’t lose track of my lists. And don’t even get me started on grocery lists. My roommates often share their concern over my OCD tendencies when they find multiple lists scattered around the house. 

Most of my lists don’t survive more than twenty-four hours. The tasks are checked off and the list is thrown away or rewritten onto a new clean piece of paper.  There are some lists though, that will probably last the rest of my life. Yes, I am a twenty-one year old with a bucket list. I need to see the world, learn to rope, earn my PhD, go on a cattle drive and own a 1960s Mustang Convertible.  This list of goals keeps me motivated and reminds me why I must work so hard.

Yesterday, I allowed myself to start making lists in preparation for this year’s Agricultural Media Summit. Yes, allowed. In addition to planning outfits, starting packing lists, and figuring out what I need from Target (yay, Target trip!), I began figuring out my AMS game plan.

 I attended AMS in Fort Worth two summers ago. I had just finished my freshman year of college and the whole experience was a little overwhelming. Since I was so young, I was able to simply soak up the entire experience and learn about all the different aspects of agricultural communications and where I would fit in.

But I’m going into my senior year of college now. I can sense reality creeping closer and now is the time to put on my big girl shoes and start figuring out what I want to do with my life. This week at least,  I’m fairly certain I would like to become a college professor, but the thought of going to grad school right after I graduate makes me feel a little ill. So that means I need to find a job that will help me achieve my goal of making the lives of farmers easier and educating the public about agriculture possible. What better place to start connecting with people in the industry than the Ag. Media Summit? Thus, my preparation has commenced.

I think I may be more excited about AMS this time around than the last. While I kinda know what to expect, I also realize that the prospect of me meeting my future employer and co-workers is entirely possible. This also makes me a little nervous, so of course, I am making copious amounts of lists to calm myself. What booths to stop by, what workshops to go to, what outfit to wear each day. The more lists I make, the more excited I get, and the more excited I get, the more lists I make (it’s a vicious circle). I literally cannot wait for this year’s AMS. So much to learn, so many people to meet, so much New Orleans food to eat! Can I start my countdown yet?? Well, maybe I’ll put that on my to-do list for later this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment